As E Sport is a discipline in its own right, there are some notable differences in the sports betting market compared to traditional sports betting:
- Professional teams and players train about 6 days out of 7 and minimum 8 hours a day, in Korea and China these hours are largely exceeded. Players are not or only slightly impacted by repetitive games. Fatigue is therefore not very important to take into account because it is just mental and not physical. It happens anyway that some players burn out or are less efficient at the end of the season when they have played a lot of games during the year.
- In football the rules have been the same since the dawn of time but in E Sport to make the game live (managed by a publisher looking to sell) it must adapt to its market. It is therefore necessary to constantly bring novelty, the games evolve almost constantly over the updates and the strategies to win too. You have to follow these changes to know which team will be at an advantage and which team will be at a disadvantage, according to the different styles of games that exist.
- The players are generally very young, on Hearthstone a 13 year old has already won a tournament. If the competition takes place online, the young players will have little or no problem with pressure because they will be comfortable at home but if the competition is played on stage then this criterion takes all its importance. Some teams are also very strong online and tend to collapse offline.
- Many games are played in several rounds, commonly called BOX (at the best of X maps, for example in BO3 the first one who wins 2 maps wins the match). These rounds can be played on different maps and therefore the strategies to win can change. A team that can be very strong on one map may not be very strong on the next.
- There are competitions almost all year round, there are few off-peak periods and therefore it is possible to make a high volume of bets. Once again the publishers are behind this choice, we have to make the game live through E Sport to sell and create a fervor around the game.
- Bookmakers have great difficulty in evaluating the level gap between two teams because of the criteria mentioned above. They only use statistics and the "image" of a team to establish odds.
- The odds often arrive shortly before the game. Sometimes it's only 2 hours before the game, which can be annoying and make us miss out on values. So you have to be reactive on the appearance of the odds to maximize your value before the odds drop.